Saturday, January 9, 2010

Today is the day that I will dye my wool. First thing is I need to mordant the fiber. Mordanting helps the dye from the plant to stick to the wool. The mordant that I chose to use with this dye material is copper. It comes in a crystal form, and if you look closely you can see the small packet of blue crystals in the center of my supplies. The instructions warn of toxic fumes and skin irritation so I'll be using a mask and rubber gloves when handling the mordant and fiber.
Here is the dye pot. I let the plants sit over night and I think there is some really nice color in there. When I pulled a small amount out of the pot in looks more of a golden color than green. The next step for this pot is to strain off the plant material from the dye. I can then throw away the used leaves.
As I mentioned earlier there is a warning regarding toxic fumes, so I will be doing the mordanting and dyeing outside over my camp stove. The copper and wool are now in the pot and need to simmer for about 30 minutes.

As the wool takes on the copper it changes to a pretty light sea foam green. It's working!!!! After simmering for 30 minutes, I took the wool in the house and rinsed it. Next step, into the dye pot.
The leaves have been strained, and the wool is now added to the dye pot. Between the blue green of the mordant, and the yellow gold of the dye pot, it looks like I'm going to get a pretty olive green. I will let the wool simmer again for about 30 minutes, and then I will let it sit and cool. Later tonight I will rinse it out and hang it up to dry.






1 comment:

  1. I hope you will be willing to share your experience in the next guild meeting. I can't wait to see the results. The pictures and steps are brillant!

    ReplyDelete