Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Shawl is Finished

All the strings are in place, and I've started the weaving process. This pattern requires two shuttles. One shuttle for the design (the grey hand spun), and one for the tabby (red) to stabilize the fabric.This pattern takes a little longer to weave because I'm really weaving two types of fabric at the same time. See the treadles under the loom? the two on the left I use to weave the tabby pattern, and the other four are used to make the overshot pattern.
Here is a close up of the woven fabric. I think this side will be the back side of the shawl.

I really like how the pattern worked up on the other side of the fabric. The wool that I used is a dark grey with silver and it gives the yarn a shimmering look. I'm really pleased with how this turned out.

Here is a picture of the completed shawl.
Total time 7 1/2 hours to weave and finish.

So, how many hours did it take to make this shawl from start to finish?
44 hours.
What do you think it's worth???



1 comment:

  1. Buy wool from local SHEEP, wash wool, hand spin wool = 30+ hours

    Prepare loom with hand spun wool = lost track of time, we will say A LOT!

    You ask what do you think it is worth = PRICELESS

    This is amazing... so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete