Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Littlest Loom

A couple of weeks ago I started attending a new weaving class. In this class I'm learning how to do double weave, which means I can weave two fabrics at once. I know, my brain trys to leak out of my head every week at the end of class. Needless to say my floor loom has warp on it to do the home work that I need to do for class so, I can't do any other projects for awhile. I noticed the other day that I started to twitch, and knew that I needed to do a little weaving. So I thought now would be a great time to get acquainted with my newest loom the "Inklet" from Ashford. I bought this little inkle loom in order to work with some finer threads, and it is a bit more portable than my bigger floor inkle loom.
It's only 14 1/2 inches long, and 7 inches tall. I really like it. This is my second inkle band that I've woven on it.


The warp that I've put on is just sewing machine thread. This so far is the finest thread that I've worked with, and I hope to start weaving with silk threads soon.



This is a close up of all the warp threads. I used four different colors for this band.




This what the woven band looks like. The width of this band is 1 inch, and it will be about 50 inches long. I really like working with this loom. I've been thinking about what I can use the bands for and this is a list of things that I've come up with so far.


Hat bands


Garter Ties, (re-en actors really want these)


Shoe Laces.


Sashes


Belts.


Straps for bags


Guitar straps


The loom is so simple, that the possibilities for designs are almost endless, and because of it's small size I don't feel intimidated to experiment.





No comments:

Post a Comment